Monday, September 18, 2017

It, Dartmouth, Irma Aftermath & Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship

Here's a recap of the past week. I did nothing on 9/11, which seems like the best thing to do. I'll take this time to mention that once I got out of the house and drove around after Irma, I saw all the damage that was done. Trees were knocked down, stop signs were bent at a 45 degree angle, debris was all over the road... I realized how fortunate it was that there was only one minor thing that happened to where I live. People I know in Florida, it took a few days for them to even get their power back; yes, it was that bad down here. Heck, when I went out on Saturday-more on that later-I saw a bunch of power trucks out in the field; yes, there were people who haven't had power for almost a week; I feel bad for them. I won't go into details but I do have nice neighbors and that is always a good thing.

Tuesday, I returned to Walt Disney World, as I needed to get out of the house and do something. I ended up at the International Food & Wine Festival; Disney started that early this year as they aren't doing so well in terms of making a profit. I had some random food & drink (all tasty) and as it was not busy there, I also went on a few rides. An estimated 6 million Floridians fled the state before Irma hit, and it took time for them to return home. The act who played a short half hour concert there a few times during this day... Starship, or as they are known now, “Starship Featuring Micky Thomas.” There's a long and sordid history, explaining the differences between Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship; to be brief, what I saw was the lead singer of Starship with random musicians who weren't in the band back when they were popular in the 80's. I did not hear their entire act; I imagine they played a Jefferson Starship song or two also, but what I listened to was Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, Somebody to Love, and much to my delight, the hilariously cheesy We Built This City.

Wednesday, I went to a place I hadn't gone to in a few years (because of reasons) a drive-in. Yes, some of those are still around. I saw It then Annabelle: Creation. It was very good; the original 1990 miniseries is good and Tim Curry was great; yet, it definitely had its cheesy moments. This new movie, I approve of what was done. Creation was fine; that was definitely better than the first Annabelle. Plenty of people were there; I imagine many did not have power so itwas something to do. Thursday I did nothing but Friday, I went with someone to the local Chili's; that went as expected.

Saturday, I went to a college football game. It won't be my only live game this year, although I'll decide later what the other ones will be. Driving there was when I saw all those people working for various electrical companies trying to restore power. I was also held up for a few minutes because there was a particularly bad multi-car wreck where one of the vehicles was absolutely destroyed... I hope the worst did not happen there. I drove to DeLand to watch Stetson play against Dartmouth; yes, an Ivy League football team, a pretty rare sight down here. I don't want to be too harsh on Stetson, as it took them longer than expected to get back home from their last game due to Irma, their campus didn't have power last week, and one of their players passed away at a practice a few weeks ago.

Yet, I still have to say that the Stetson Hatters are not a good team. The first part of the game was “bowling shoe ugly”, to borrow a phrase. Finally, points were scored... most of them by Dartmouth. They won 38-7. As I expected the game to not be that competitive, the result was not a surprise to me. That said, I don't regret going as once the sun was covered by clouds then it later set, the weather was nice and there was little trouble with the typical annoying sports fan. Sunday, I realized what a great decision I made in NOT driving to Tampa to attend the Tampa Bay Bucs game where they hosted the Chicago Bears. Yes, it happened again this year after they played last November, a game I did attend and the Bears were blown out. I did not expect this contest to be any different and guess what, I was right. Chicago lost 29-7 and looked pretty pitiful. Seeing the college game live was a better choice, and definitely the cheaper one too. Of course, as a pro wrestling fan I was not happy with the news that Bobby “The Brain” Heenan passed away, but he was in pretty bad health for awhile there so it was not a surprise.

When I return a week from today... nothing is on the agenda, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment