Monday, November 11, 2013

Escape Plan, Mountain Dew Game Fuel, & Having To Call 911

Alright, here is what I've done this past week. It was more interesting than expected. Needless to say, “having to call 911 on my cell phone" was not on my docket of things to possibly do during the week.

Last Monday night I watched the Chicago Bears play against their hated rivals the Green Bay Packers. I thought that the Packers would win given the circumstances. Well, I did not predict that real early on the Packers star quarterback would be injured and knocked out of the game. That changed things entirely and that was a big reason why Chicago won. I was happy even with those circumstances. Getting to watch it at home and not have to be around odious sports fans also made me happy.

Tuesday, I finally went and saw Escape Plan. I went and saw it at the Orlando Fashion Square Mall, a place I rarely get to. Both the mall (many closed/empty storefronts) and the theatre (you had to get tickets at the concession stand instead of the box office, the general run-down nature of the place) make me wonder how long they'll last as they aren't doing as hot as they used to. As for the film Escape Plan, I heard good things from people I usually would consider to be at least somewhat reliable, but I thought it was a poor story filmed in an inept crappy manner. I did not think it was good at all aside from some inspired moments. What a disappointment it is. It's more a drama than an action film but I knew that going in.

After the movie I stopped by a fast food joint I hadn't eaten at before and they're usually around Maryland but they opened one here recently... I am referring to Boardwalk Fresh Burger & Fries. It should be no mystery what I ordered along with a mint chocolate chip shake. I wasn't sure about the service and the burger was alright, but the cooked in peanut oil fries and the shake were both great.

Wednesday I did nothing except watch a smaller UFC show that was put on for the troops (it was held on a military base) so I watched that. Thursday, I figured I should get a haircut, so I did. I think I did need one. The lady-who was older than me-who cut my hair said she really liked my first name. Whether or not I was hit on, I was still flattered.

Friday, I decided to drive by the local Blockbuster in town. I wanted to see when they would start liquidating. While I am the Luddite type who prefers to walk in a brick and mortar store and pick out something for rental, I don't feel too sad that Blockbuster is finally shutting down given that they caused the demise of the mom and pop stores that I almost exclusively went to for many years. Anyhow, that will start this upcoming Thursday. I did stop at a nearby 7/11 and not only did I have a Slurpee, but I saw that there was a return of Mountain Dew Game Fuel, which has even more caffeine than regular Mountain Dew and it's for the type of people that play World of Warcraft for like 12 hours straight.

Saturday was dull (I did watch another free UFC show on TV and that was interesting) so let me skip ahead to Sunday. That is a day that I had to call 911! No, it has nothing to do with anyone at the Friendly Confines sports bar. Rather, it was someone on the road. While I was there, some annoying people were around but it wasn't like my last time there, where I almost flipped off a yelling ogre for being a complete D-bag; I was thankful for that. The Bears ended up losing by 2 points. It wasn't a pretty game by any means. Their starting quarterback returned from injury... only to suffer another injury. In hindsight, he may have come back too soon. I did pay attention to some of the other games going on so it ended up being a fine time there, and the food was good as usual.

On the way back home, though... I noticed an obviously impaired driver. When you're driving and you see a car stopped at a stoplight which is green and he doesn't move even after I blasted my horn at him, something's not right. He caught up with me and between him having extreme difficulty staying in one lane and him driving either really fast or really slow... they had to be either really drunk or really high on drugs. They got in front of me and they turned onto a different road. I had to pull out the phone and dial 911. Yeah, I was doing that while driving but I had to keep an eye on the driver to give the police all the proper information (which I did do) & to make sure that guy did not crash, as that could very well have been an outcome. After I talked to the 911 operator I hung up and at that point I was far ahead of that guy (he was a middle aged dude in a Lexus SUV) and I decided to head on home and hope that a police officer pulled him over.

A few years ago I had to do the same thing; I was driving back home from a wrestling show and I was in my town of Clermont and saw some young punk obviously drive drunk. Again I have no idea if he got pulled over but I hope so.

As for this upcoming week, I actually do have some things I know I'll be doing, from getting my teeth cleaned to seeing the latest UFC pay per view. I am expecting it to be a decent week.

No comments:

Post a Comment