Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Brazilian Steakhouses, The Autobahn, & Dumb Americans

Note/warning/whatever: this is going to be a lengthy blog.

Before I get to talking about what I did this first week of November, I have to finally mention a pair of bizarre things I’ve seen on the road in the past few weeks. I usually think that I’ve seen it all on the road during my long 30 year life. However, once in awhile I do get surprised by seeing something incomprehensible. Here’s two examples, one short and one long, and one involving a parking lot.

1. I was on 436 in Orlando, driving to Friendly Confines. At a stoplight, one guy gets out of the passenger seat of one car to high-five the driver of the car to his right! Thankfully he got back in his car right as the light turned green.
2. I was at a parking lot; to try and make it clear, the rows go West to East and the immediate south of the road I parked in was being paved so it was blocked off. I went in to a location for a bit. I came out and saw that some dumbf*** parked their car not in a spot but right in the row! I couldn’t go West in order to head North to leave the premises; instead I had to back out then go backwards to the next lane going North in order to get out of there. If I wasn’t sure that person (who I never saw) was going to leave soon, I would have called someone on them, likely a tow truck. That person is an exceptional Troglodyte, even for Florida.

Once again, that’s why I insult Florida drivers on a constant basis. Speaking of insulted, that’s what happened to my intelligence the previous week when I was at Walt Disney World and I was in the England area of Epcot and in a store, some drunk youths were talking to one of the dames working there, who is from the UK. Through reasons too complicated to get into, one of the drunk youths was talking to the worker about some incredibly complex trivia about her home country… such as, what countries make up the UK, and what “UK” stands for! I swear, this is true. She then explains her Troglodyte behavior by admitting she’s “trashy”. Like that’s an excuse. Did I ever hang my head in shame there. THERE is the personification of “stupid American” right there.

Anyhow, here’s what I’ve done in the past week. Halloween, I didn’t go trick or treating or dress up or anything of that sort. Rather, I went with the relatives to dinner at a Brazilian steakhouse, the same one I went to in the past. I enjoyed the experience a little more the second time around, but I still think it’s an overpriced thing, as good as the various meats were. Tuesday I went back to Epcot and Walt Disney World. Heh heh heh, I say (long story as to why I do that running joke). I visited the spots I wasn’t able to go to the previous Tuesday. That was good… and not having to deal with any trashy people there was nice too.

I can say from being there the past two times that a pair of popular in the 90’s groups still have a lot of fans, and that’s Boyz II Men and Hanson! Yes, they’re still around. They performed at Epcot (not together; II was there the 25th and Hanson the 1st) and many people were there to listen to them. To think that back in the day they were HUGE acts… and I was a youngster when that happened! Man am I ancient.

Wednesday night I went with the gang to Longhorn Steakhouse. It wasn’t my choice; they decided to go there because they saw some new food advertised in an ad. Imagine that, a commercial that’s actually effective. That rarely happens anymore. Everyone seemed to enjoy their food. I had my almost always of a burger and fries, and that was tasty-enough.

Thursday was dull so I’ll skip ahead to Friday. I had to drop someone (not those relatives, but someone else) off at the airport in Sanford. On the way back I stopped at the Oviedo Mall. I hadn’t been there in awhile. I know that they changed management, which apparently meant “now, we have many empty spaces where stores used to be”. At least there I finally found the returning-for a brief amount of time-Mountain Dew Game Fuel. This time besides the usual cherry citrus flavor there’s also a tropical flavor. As usual I have had trouble finding those specific limited-time Mountain Dew flavors. I’m glad that this time I didn’t have to go to the bowels of the Earth to have a taste of it. Also on the way back I drove for a few miles on I-4 and not too surprisingly, some jackass drivers were acting like it was the Autobahn, driving way too fast, especially on what was a busy road at the time. No wonder why accidents happen so often here.

The only thing of note concerning my weekend is that I watched the “big” college football game on Saturday night between the two top ranked teams in the country; that usually only happens at the end of the season. Both teams were known for their defenses but the final score being 9-6 in overtime… I know some people think differently, but I thought it was a crap game. Sure, there was intensity and the defenses were fine… the offenses were God-awful for the most part. Then again I’m turned off of college sports after this horrific year they’ve had, where tradition has been pissed on and now they’re all open about it being all about the money more than anything else. That and the increasingly sloppy play in college football the past few years has really turned me off of the game.

Speaking of football, last night I went to Friendly Confines and watched the Chicago Bears play against the Philadelphia Eagles, a team that was hyped up due to its acquisition of some high-profile players but for various reasons haven’t lived up to expectations. Well, they still are underperforming as the Bears won 30-24. It was a very exciting game, the momentum switching back and forth a few times. Both teams made some dumb mistakes so there was some understandable griping going on from Bears and Eagles fans there. I wasn’t sure if Chicago was going to win so I’ll take the win even if I do feel sort of bad that Philly has done some underperforming in years past too. OK, maybe I shouldn’t feel that way as dogfighter Michael Vick is the QB of the team… the other guys, though… at least it was fun to watch and I consumed some alcoholic beverages there. The next Chicago game is late Sunday afternoon against the Detroit Lions, a team the Bears looked God-awful against earlier in the season. I’ll hope for another surprise here.

Oh, and on the way there I stopped at Total Wine & More for the first time in awhile. I did get some booze there. I also saw more than one car driving around at night without their lights on. Geniuses, there are in Florida. One of them, I noticed that right before I passed them and I honked my horn in an attempt for them to wake up. It wasn’t until a few minutes later that they realized their stupidity and rectified the problem. That goes along with some more Autobahn moments.

I’ll be back at my usual time of Monday. I don’t have much planned for the week proper, but the weekend should have some real excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment