Saturday, April 13, 2024

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, The First Omen, Monkey Man, Tesla Cybertruck & Imo’s Pizza

Finally, I saw a Cybertruck out in the wild. It was at a Walmart earlier today, of all places. In person, it’s still ugly! I don’t care for Elon personally but Tesla vehicles (and most electric vehicles) are pretty cool… although still flawed and it will take a LONG time before it’s practical for a lot of people. Tesla seems to not be as well-built the more they have become popular-I see them in Florida constantly-as searching for Cybertruck just now revealed several different bad news stories of them stopping sales, software errors, and them breaking down.

So far, my April hasn’t been too eventful. I’ve mainly visited new locations of restaurants I’ve been to before (such as the new Pollo Campero that is on Orange Avenue right by Michigan Avenue), a Denny’s for the first time in a few years (even they have raised their prices) and two downtown Clermont bars for the first time in more than a year. That was nice, although the rest of the month should have more for me to discuss. Those not familiar with Imo’s Pizza, they are from St. Louis and offer their product with what they call Provel cheese-provolone, cheddar and Swiss. They now offer frozen pizza at Winn-Dixie, which I already had. It was… interesting but not bad.

In any event, I’ll close this out by mentioning a trio of movies I saw.as of late:

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire was the same as the other movies in the MonsterVerse that began w/ Kong: Skull Island… meaning it was silly yet fun popcorn entertainment. Of course it’s drastically different from Godzilla Minus One but both can be enjoyed for what they are. The humor did not always land yet I still liked the film, especially on an IMAX screen.

Monkey Man: Oh boy—a lot of film fans went wild for the movie, but not me. It was a slow and ponderous drama for the most part (the trailers were misleading) and when there was action, it was mostly shot in an incoherent manner. The two hour movie felt like five; my crowd was not digging it, including several looking at their watches to see when it would end. Afterwards, as I disposed of my garbage, an older Black man told me and no one else (because I was the only one nearby) “Never in my whole life have I wanted a movie to end!” and I said I agreed. The conversation did not progress past that but my comment was just a tiny bit hyperbolic. I have viewed worse theatrically and films that felt like they would never end. However, it was quite disappointing so don’t listen to the hype.

The First Omen: What a shame that I had to leave the AMC at Disney Springs due to an awful audience full of brain-dead people constantly dead-eyed looking at their phones and also flapping their jowls. I was NOT happy, especially because the horror film wasn’t either one of those pretentious “elevated horror” pieces of twaddle that do little for me or the PG-13 movies that are just totally lame. The Exorcist: Believer was unbelievably bad so what a shock that this movie was actually pretty good. To clarify, once I left in a huff and got away from the disastrous screening, the movie was seen in full by me at my local cinema in Clermont, where the experience was much better.

But back to The First Omen. It tried to be a serious 70’s or 80’s horror, with homages that hardcore buffs will know. It had some legitimate scares, even. I refuse to believe that NELL TIGER FREE was born with that name as how preposterous would that be… in any case, she was great as the lead so no complaints there.

I should return in a few weeks’ time. By then I should have a few adventures to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment