Monday, July 25, 2022

Tales of Elvis, Fort Myers & Many Restaurant Reviews

 To mention the elephant in the room right away, July 25th is the day that Mom passed away, two years ago already. I will be doing things today (which I’ll talk about next time, which will be sometime in the first half of August) which will at least distract me and I won’t be feeling mopey all day.

Since the last time, I’ve gone to a variety of restaurants. Some were places I visited for the first time in many months or even years (the Lava Lounge connected to the Rainforest Café at Disney Springs, the local establishment Oakwood Smokehouse & Grill, and even Subway… which is still as average as I remembered it) and others were new. I’ll mention those now:

One night was spent at Boston Lobster Feast, a buffet that has several locations but we were at the ones in Kissimmee. I have no idea if 65 dollars is a fair price for all you can eat seafood or not; they also had a limited regular menu which is what we ordered off of. At least for me, it was fine… I guess…

The next day was 4 Rivers Smokehouse, which I know for certain was a decent quick service BBQ place.

Another night was a return to Celebration Town Tavern, a fine seafood establishment. One night I’ll be there on my own as it’s always neat to walk around Celebration.

Several restaurants have been located on a corner in downtown Clermont yet until recently I had never been to any of them. Now, it is a southern cuisine place known as The Southern on 8th. Even with my “particular” tastes there was still something for me to eat.

Earlier in the month, I spent the weekend in Fort Myers. I’ll just say it was to help someone out, which I was able to do and I was happy to do so. Saturday night me and some others ate at Mel’s Diner… no, not the restaurant from the old TV show Alice but rather it’s a small chain in that part of the world. The food was tasty. The next day some time was spent at Sanibel Island, a very lovely place full of charm. Dinner was at George & Wendy’s Seafood Grille; for a place that was the first one found which wasn’t busy, it was a pleasant surprise.

There wasn’t much else I did in July, at least as of now or is important enough to mention. The next few weeks I do hope to do more despite how oppressively hot it is now; I can’t complain as everyone is experiencing sweltering heat right now. There will be at least one theatrical experience, a few new restaurants, and a return to Walt Disney World.

I’ll close this out by talking about the one theatrical experience I had: Elvis. It’s a movie I heard mixed reviews on but Elvis the person was definitely fascinating and I dug his music so it was worth a shot. Believe it or not it was my first Baz Luhrmann movie in full; I know people around my age would be horrified but in the late 90’s I saw parts of his Romeo & Juliet and that was enough for me. He definitely is still flashy and over the top; overall I’ll say the movie was good. At times the editing was exhausting yet Austin Butler was great as the lead. Tom Hanks, though… I don’t know what was going on there; I’m not even certain if the real Col. Tom Parker spoke with an exaggerated Dutch accent or not. It was a bizarre performance, I know that for certain.

Like I said, my return will be in the front half of August sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment