Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Coca Cola Starlight, Nitro Pepsi, Duck Donuts & Mongolian Grills

I am doing this a few days later than expected; that is OK as besides having more to discuss, I can mention such news items as what happened at the Academy Awards (a WTF moment which was also the only footage from the awards show I even saw) and the sad Bruce Willis news... for a few years now he has appeared in low-budget movies-terrible ones, too, and I know this as I saw one of them last year-where he was only on set for a day or two and his dialogue was fed to him via earpiece; I only heard the scuttlebutt that he had memory-related issues last month but I am sure that's been a problem for a long while now. It's a bummer for me as Die Hard is one of my personal favorites and Aphasia does not sound like the best way to spend the rest of your life.

On a lighter note, I'll mention two new sodas I recently had. Coca Cola Starlight is rather peculiar; they say it is “space flavored”; o-kkkaayyy. It all sounds pretentious; the taste to me is “burnt marshmallows” so don't ask me why that is an “outer space flavor.” I imagine it pairs well w/ graham crackers and a piece from a Hershey's chocolate bar... I also had Nitro Pepsi, which is made the same way that they do nitro beer. There's far less carbonation so it is strange; while not “stale Pepsi” as I heard one reviewer remark, I do prefer that style be applied to stout beers rather than soda. Still, both are outside the box ideas that aren't terrible.

I could make an analogy to ANOTHER terrible restaurant experience I had recently but I'll save it until next time (sometime the first half of April) as I want to be more positive here. Yesterday I went to a restaurant for the first time despite both my parents having gone there a few times before and both liking it. Another bummer is not being able to tell Mom that I also enjoyed bd's Mongolian Grill in Lakeland. That's on me as it was not until recent times that I discovered the place wasn't what I presumed it was. The way the food is made is different: you pick out various items from a buffet (everything's raw) and put it in a bowl. You then walk up to a giant circular grill and someone cooks it for a few minutes before it's given back to you for consumption. There's chicken, steak, and shrimp-so that was enough for me right there. It was actually pretty tasty so shame on me all around for not even giving it a chance years ago. That was indeed a positive restaurant experience.

This past Thursday I made an airport run to Sanford. After dropping people off, it was off to Daytona Beach again as that wasn't too far away from there. Besides getting gas & food at Buc-ee's, I went to the outlet mall and surrounding stores literally across the street from Buc-ee's. It was the nicest outlet mall I've ever visited. While I didn't purchase anything from there, I did get food from Duck Donuts. I've heard of that Carolinas staple before and all the hype was well-deserved. That was another nice food experience and if one was closer to Orlando I'd be there more often.

Like I said I'll be back sometime in the next few weeks; I'll have at least one theatrical experience to discuss & have at least one restaurant experience to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment