Friday, May 28, 2021

Fazoli's, Pepsi Blue, White Castle & Other Bits of Nostalgia

I am pushing this out right before Memorial Day weekend as I actually have plans for the extended weekend (and a few days after) which I'll explain sometime in June when I return. As typical in the past year or so, things have been not exciting aside from events that I mostly won't share here. At least I feel better than I did the last time one of these were typed up... at least this time there was no random person that completely acted rude to me when I needed them to fix something-long story. There have been ups and downs; at least things are more normal now than this time in April. I once again visited restaurants I had been to before-such Walk-On's Sports Bistreaux-although that was fine because I really dig their food; I also returned to Blaze's Pizza at Disney Springs. A new (to me) place was visited... for years I drove by Fiddlers Green Irish Pub & Eatery in Winter Park and finally one night it was time to try it out. It had fine food and was a nice cozy place.

The rest of this short entry will concern nostalgia; recently I was at the Magic Kingdom and for the first time in years I went on the Jungle Cruise ride; it was as cheesy and corny as ever. A few weeks ago I saw Top Gun theatrically-yes, really. Speaking of cheesy and corny... finally, a few times I was reminded of being a young adult in Illinois before I moved down here to Florida. To my surprise, in a Walmart cooler I saw that Pepsi Blue has made a return for this summer season. It tastes exactly like how I remembered... many will think that's a bad thing but to me it was more odd than bad. It will be drank a few times in the upcoming months. Not that long ago, Fazoli's returned to Florida after being gone for years; those in the Midwest will be surprised to hear that; as one of the few locations is in my town, that will be visited more than once in a blue moon.

Finally, the restaurant just opened in Orlando that has had hours long waits ever since the door first opened is... White Castle. I know people in Illinois will HOWL with laughter when they hear that WHITE CASTLE has been so popular, every day for a few weeks now people have had to wait hours at the drive-in and in the restaurant. I have no idea why Floridians are so insane for burgers that I don't even eat (way too many onions) and the rest of the food is acceptable at best and many-including me-only ate there late at night after a drunken night out or in my case, the times I was around Chicago attending a wrestling show and needing a quick bite before going back home. Needless to say, it will be a long while before I can discover if their chicken rings combo is as OK as I remembered.

When I return sometime in June, I'll have some pretty exciting things to share; stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment