Saturday, June 22, 2024

Oakland Athletics, Hogan’s Hangout, Eaton’s Beach, Red Lobster & TGI Friday’s

As has become customary now, this is Part 1 of what I’ve done in the past month, with Part 2’s posting to occur in around 24 hours. I’ll start with the negatives first. Several people I know (no, not immediate family) have had health issues as of late, which have included major surgery in one case. They are all fine now. However, someone I met a few times years ago—he unexpectedly died earlier in the month. The fact that he was only a few years older than me… in addition, Donald Sutherland passing away bummed me out too.

Now, onto my usual frivolity. Late in May I had the opportunity to visit the St. Petersburg area one afternoon/evening. First, I went to Hogan’s Hangout in Clearwater. Yes, that’s as in Hulk Hogan; long ago he used to have a standard restaurant in Tampa attached to a hotel but that closed. Now, he has a beach dive bar/restaurant which is as grungy as you’d expect but they did have pretty tasty shrimp. No, The Hulkstar wasn’t in attendance. Afterwards was the drive to Tropicana Field to see the Tampa Bay Rays lose to the Oakland Athletics 3-0. Not the most exciting game yet it was still fun; furthermore, due to a flash sale I had good seats for not a lot of cash. Neither team is full of superstars but that is OK.

Otherwise, nothing too extraordinary as of late. Several restaurants old to me were revisited for the first time in awhile; this includes Eaton’s Beach Sandbar & Grill in Weirdsdale w/ family, a Miller’s Ale House, Red Lobster (a shame what happened w/ them), and a TGI Friday’s where there was more staff than customers but the food was decent & the jukebox played 80’s hits… including Gerald McMann’s Cry Little Sister, as famously heard in The Last Boys! I also visited the likes of Citywalk one night and the Florida Mall one afternoon for the first time in months. Finally, a few days ago I went to Walt Disney World… the Magic Kingdom in particular.

I’ll definitely have more to say tomorrow, from movie reviews to new soda flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment