Sunday, July 28, 2024

Twisters, A Quiet Place: Day One, Paris Olympics & July Craziness

As it's a rainy afternoon now & the Olympics are on the TV, it was time for me to do one of these. Now, it's not been too eventful a July. Mainly, I've returned to various places to eat and for entertainment. For example, Mecum had their smaller-scale version of their auto auction in Kissimmee earlier on the month, so I went one day. The same goes for various restaurants; yesterday I ate at a Yard House for the first time since last year. Oh, and one afternoon I got a much-needed haircut; in fact, more needed than usual.Otherwise, I've watched various sports on TV (like the MLB All-Star Game) and marveled at all the wild events in July. This includes the attempted political assassination and general shocking moments in that world along w/ too many celebrity deaths of figures that were popular when I was a kid. You know, like Richard Simmons and Shelley Duvall.

The Olympics probably aren't seen as “cool” by some and I realize the exorbitant cost of hosting one. It's still entertaining to me, whether it be the popular sports or the niche ones like handball, archery and field hockey. I was amused by the opening ceremonies and how they were even more bombastic & weirder than typical—the parade of athletes in boats down the Seine, a Celine Dion musical number on the Eiffel Tower, French heavy metal bands doing a musical number about the French Revolution, a piano lighting on fire, etc. Anyhow, I know Mom would have loved watching this edition of the games; she always did. I still can't believe she passed away on the 25th of this month 4 years ago already. Sigh...

To close this out, what I've seen theatrically since the 4th of July:

First I'll mention Kill, a Hindi-language movie from India that not only is more interesting than its generic title, is not the wild 3 hour blend of many genres that includes musical numbers that many people assume all Indian cinema is. Rather, it's more along the lines of John Wick or the Indonesian Raid movies. The lead does battle with many villains on a train and wow does it being graphically violent. It was a blast as there was still the melodrama that you usually find in Indian cinema. It was neat seeing a serious, gruesome bloody martial arts picture from that country, and on the big screen no less.

A Quiet Place: Day One I realize is a film that some didn't like as it was more about a personal story between two characters (and a cat!) rather than an epic blockbuster about how those aliens first invaded Earth. If you're fine with that, you can be like me and enjoy a drama-thriller with many introspective moments alongside the scary alien bits. Thankfully, I've liked all the movies in that franchise so far.

Finally, last weekend was Twisters. The crowd experience wasn't the best but I won't dwell on that. Instead, it was dumb popcorn entertainment that I still had fun with, no matter how scientifically implausible it probably was. The original Twister I don't love yet does have a nice memory attached to it: the entire family saw the movie theatrically during the summer of '96.

Sometime in August I'll return. Nothing is on the agenda... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment